This site uses Flash. You may not have the latest version of the Flash Player installed. Download the free Flash Player.

Community Education

Realize your Potential

Community Education Links

Contact Us

College of Southern Maryland
8730 Mitchell Rd
PO Box 910
La Plata, MD 20646-0910


Fall 2015 Schedules (August - December 2015)

Community Education
Fall 2015 Schedule (.pdf) 

Workforce Development
Fall 2015 Schedule (.pdf) 

Please be advised that the Interactive PDF versions of the continuing education schedules are for reference only and do not reflect course availability or cancellations. For the most up-to-date information about course availability, please use Online Services.

Community Education

Motorcycles FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are the classes held?

All classes meet directly at 5825 Radio Station Road La Plata MD 20646 (Center for Transportation Training). Show up 30 minutes before the scheduled start time to handle administrative matters.


What protective gear do I need?

Loaner helmets, gloves and eye protection are available as part of the course enrollment but students are encouraged to bring their own apparel if they have them. Students must bring the protective gear with them on the first day of class. Students who do not have their protective gear will not be allowed to participate in class. Students are required to wear all of the following protective gear as outlined by the MVA whenever mounted on the motorcycle:

a. Motorcycle helmet in good condition that meets DOT standards
b. Eye protection in the form of a helmet face shield, motorcycle goggles, *sunglasses, *eyeglasses (* okay for range use, not recommended for street use)
c. Full fingered gloves made of leather or other appropriate material that is designed for motorcycle use
d. Long sleeve shirt or jacket
e. Long sturdy pants
f. Functional, sturdy over-the-ankle footwear that provides good traction and ankle support

Do I need a motorcycle?

•    Training motorcycles are provided for participants in Basic Rider Course and Personalized Basic Rider Course. Personal motorcycles are not allowed.  
•    Participants  in the Alternate Basic Rider Course (ABRC II) may use their personal motorcycle if it is transported legally to the training center or they may use training motorcycles provided.
•    Participants in Basic Rider Course II (BRC II) are expected to provide their own motorcycle and must be a licensed motorcycle operator.
•    All personal motorcycles must be street legal, in good operating condition and pass a routine pre-ride check given as a part of the course. Personal motorcycles must be in good mechanical condition, properly tagged and insured. Motorcycles with sidecars, trikes or scooters may not be used.
•    See the Program's policy regarding riding a motorcycle to class .
•    You have to be physically capable of handling a 350 pound motorcycle.

What license do I need to take the class?

For  Basic Rider Course (TRA-8000), Alternate Basic Rider Course (TRA-8100) and Personalized Basic Rider Course (TRA-8300): A motorcycle learner's permit is not required to participate. Individuals who possess a valid driver's license, a Class "M" (motorcycle) learner's permit or individuals who are eligible for a learner's permit may enroll in the basic course. Persons under the age of 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign a “Motorcycle Rider Course FERPA Waiver, Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement” form allowing them to participate in the range activities. For Basic Rider Course 2 (TRA-8200): Students must be a licensed motorcycle operator.


To be issued a MD Certificate, the participant must present at the beginning of class a MD license. A MD certificate will NOT be issued to out of state license holders. If it is desired to obtain the certificate, it is recommended that the participant go to the MVA before the class to obtain a regular MD drivers license. A completion card will be issued to all participants. A letter of course completion can be drafted for those needing detailed documentation of their course completion which may be helpful in obtaining a license from another state.

How old do I need to be to take this class?

The MVA has changed the age requirement for teenagers, "A Class M license will not be issued to anyone under 16 years and 6 months of age and if a "first" license proof of satisfactory completion of a driver education course must also be presented". A Motorcycle permit can be issued at 15 years 9 months. The Rider Course Completion Certificate is valid for 6-months from issue. Teenagers should not participate in the Rider Course until they are 16 years old due to, if taken earlier than that, the issued certificate will expire before being able to obtain a license.

What do I need to do to complete the course?

To pass the course, you must

•    Participate in all the course sessions and pass a knowledge test and the on-cycle test.
•    Participate in all course sessions
•    Pass a written knowledge test
•    Pass a motorcycle operator skills test

What are the attendance requirements?

It is YOUR responsibility to be on time for each class session. In compliance with MVA guidelines, all classes start promptly at the times indicated. If you are late for the first session, your spot may go to a standby student. Being late for subsequent sessions, may result in your inability to comply with the MVA’s attendance requirements for testing. Take into consideration traffic, weather or any other condition or circumstance that might cause lateness.

What do I get when I complete the course?

Upon successful completion of all requirements, a Maryland Completion Certificate is issued that can be taken to any full service MVA to obtain the class "M" license. The MVA charges an additional licensing fee because a new license is issued." Only participants holding a MD license are issued the MD Completion Certificate. A MD certificate will NOT be issued to out-of-state license holders. However, a course completion card is issued to all participants who successfully complete the course as proof of course completion. A formal letter can be provided to those who hold an out-of-state license to further detail their course participation to include dates, scores achieved, and number of hours of training received. This may assist as documentation in lieu of the MD certificate that may be presented to the out-of-state licensing agency to aid in obtaining the motorcycle license in their state.

There is no guarantee that an individual enrolling in courses will pass, or get their license.

Some insurance companies also offer discounts on motorcycle premiums to course graduates. Please check with your insurance company to see if this applies.

Do we have class if the weather is bad?

Course participants are required to report to all scheduled sessions regardless of weather. Consider weather conditions. Bring plenty of cold water on hot humid days and rain-gear on rainy days. Classes are conducted as long as the weather is considered nice enough to play baseball in, but be prepared and obtain a rain suit. In very hot, humid weather, light colored clothing will keep the rider much cooler especially in the afternoon sessions. Dress warmly on cold days. If weather forces a class to cancel, the remaining course sessions will be rescheduled for the earliest dates/times that work for most the students. CSM’s Emergency Closing Hotline for delays and closures can be reached at 301-369-1999, or 800-650-4023.

What risks do I assume?

You and your classmates will be operating a motorcycle during the course. You must be willing to accept the risk involved in operating the motorcycle. You should be prepared to pay your own medical bills if you are injured while participating in the course. The State of Maryland, the MVA, or the college will NOT assume responsibility for payment of medical bills.
What options do I have if I am unable to complete the course?

If things don't go as planned, there are opportunities to:

•    Reschedule the motorcycle rider course
•    Be refunded the course registration fee
•    Retake the motorcycle rider course test(s)

Per MVA: “Not everyone should or can operate a motorcycle. The RiderCoaches will monitor your progress throughout the course. The course progresses at a pace that accommodates most students. If you are having difficulty in achieving the minimum performance criteria, the RiderCoach may request that you no longer participate in the class. The danger in continuing riding exercises without having achieved performance objectives from previous exercises is that a hazard is posed to the rider, other students, and the RiderCoaches. If you feel that you cannot complete an exercise or the course, you may elect to leave the course by telling your RiderCoach. If you have health problems that could interfere with your full participation in the course, you must notify your RiderCoach. You have to be physically capable of handling a 350 pound motorcycle.

How do I register?

register now! for motorcycle safety classes.

Student Stand-by Process :

If a registered student does not show up for their course, or arrives 20 minutes past the scheduled start time, an open slot for another student is created. When this happens, a pre-registered stand-by student (a pre-registered student who is physically present at the first class session or a non-registered student - will not be issued a completion certificate until proof of payment is produced at a later date) is given the opportunity to change their schedule after completing a drop/add form and attend the earlier session. Schedule adjustment is awarded on a first-come-first-service basis. It is highly recommended that you report to the training center 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of the course and let the instructor know that you are requesting a standby seat.

Interested in becoming an instructor?

Share your knowledge, skill and experience in helping others learn to ride a motorcycle safely. If you have lots of energy and patience, possess good communication skills, and are willing to work in an outside environment in a variety of weather conditions, then you may have what it takes to become an instructor. Select this link for complete eligibility requirements. For more information, contact Ken Bonek (, Motorcycle Safety Training Center Manager, at 301-870-3008, enter 1, then extension 7209.