This site uses Flash. You may not have the latest version of the Flash Player installed. Download the free Flash Player.

Financial Assistance

Realize your Potential

Title IV Federal School Code: 002064

Contact Us

College of Southern Maryland
Financial Assistance (FAD)
8730 Mitchell Rd
PO Box 910
La Plata, MD 20646-0910

Financial Assistance

Verification Frequently Asked Questions

What is Verification?

Do I have to do this? Students are chosen for verification either by the Central Processing Center or the College of Southern Maryland. Verification is completed by the financial assistance office. If you are picked by for verification you will receive a letter from the financial assistance office requesting the appropriate documentation. You should submit this information as soon as possible. If you do not complete verification you will not receive Federal Aid or any other type of aid that requires you to file a FAFSA application.

How long does the verification process take?

The verification process generally takes 4-6 weeks. The financial assistance office can not perform verification until all the appropriate documentation is received in the office. Sometimes we will need to request additional documentation after starting the verification process if conflicting information is found that will affect a student's eligibility. This could possibly lengthen the processing time. The key to getting your verification completed is to submit your documentation in a timely manner.

Do I have to submit my tax transcript and W-2's if I am chosen for verification?

Yes. You will need to provide a copy of your tax transcript as well as copies of all your W-2's. You will submit these documents with a verification worksheet that will be provided for you when you are notified that you have been chosen for verification. If you did not file or were not required to file taxes for the appropriate year, you will have the opportunity to put that information on the verification worksheet.

Please note: CSM is no longer authorized to accept copies of tax returns.  You must submit copies of tax transcripts.  To order a tax transcript directly from the Internal Revenue Service, click here.