Initiative 3:

Opening the Doors:
Scholarships for Success


A college education or skilled workforce training is "critical" for our community to build promising  futures and self-sufficient families.  Many are eager to attend CSM to prepare them for the workforce but cannot afford to pursue their post-secondary education because of financial and personal constraints. Our goal is to guarantee every resident of Southern Maryland, who wishes to attend college, the ability to get on a path to prosperity.

Yes, there is federal aid available to some, those in a household of four earning less than $50,000, which is not the majority of our region's population.  At CSM, approximately 18 percent of our students receive Pell grants; and the remaining 82 percent of our students who fall into the "middle class" income status are ineligible for any sort of government aid, they seek scholarships, or loans.  Only 2 percent of our students receive scholarship assistance, so many have to resort to loans.  Last year 542 students applied for scholarships and 162 were awarded.  We want to close this gap.

Statistics show that students receiving Pell Grants and scholarships are more successful in reaching their goals.  They are likely to enroll in college full time and not work as many hours while in school, and both of these are contributing factors to higher graduation rates. Likewise, the contributing factors to stopping short of meeting student goals include: being underprepared for college, competing hours of work per week, lack of childcare, and cultural barriers.

Giving to the Access to Success Fund is a way you can help qualified CSM students with the increasing costs of tuition, fees, and books. CSM can improve its recruitment, retention and goal completion rates with scholarship funds provided by individuals, businesses and organizations who care about their community.  Scholarships can also be directed toward the colleges many academic programs or industry-specific workforce development training, such as the trades, healthcare, hospitality, IT, early childhood and other certification programs. 

While scholarships play a critical role in student access and retention, other critical areas that the college enhancing for student success include: developing programs and methods to improve minority achievement gaps, developmental course re-design and delivery, faculty development, and enhanced instructional technology. 


Every dollar makes a difference. Give today!







December 02
#GivingTuesday

Time: 12:00 am - 11:50 pm
On December 2, 2014, CSM is once again participating in #GivingTuesday, the international 24-hour onl

More CSM Foundation Events!

Social Media Hub

CFC Logo