Billboard

History

Past, Present and Future of CSM
  1. 1958

    Charles County Junior College is established with evening classes at La Plata High School, and the first scholarship is awarded by the Women’s Club of Southern Maryland.


    Bruce Jenkins is appointed college dean.

  2. 1960

    Apprenticeship program is established at the Naval Ordnance Station in Indian Head.

    First Commencement ceremony is held with four graduates.

  3. 1965

    Dr. Julian N. Carsey becomes the first appointed president of Charles County Community College.

  4. 1968

    Construction begins at the new La Plata Campus at its permanent 173-acre site.

  5. 1969

    The college is accredited by the Middle States Association Commission on Higher Education and a separate Board of Trustees is created.

  6. 1970

    The Foundation is established to raise funds for the college.

    Construction continues on the La Plata Campus with the Science and Technology Building, the Learning Resource Center, Gymnasium, and Student Services Center.

  7. 1975

    The first nursing students graduate, and first athletic scholarship is awarded.

  8. 1978

    Community College at St. Mary’s County is established at Great Mills High School.

  9. 1980

    Community College at Calvert County is established.

  10. 1982

    Dr. John M. Sine is appointed the second president of Charles County Community College.

    Lady Hawks volleyball team brings in first Maryland state JUCO championship.

  11. 1984

    Peter Pan, the first musical presented at the new Fine Arts Center, is performed to a sold-out audience.

  12. 1996

    The Center for Business and Industry on the La Plata Campus is constructed.

  13. 1997

    The Leonardtown Campus is established at its current location.

    The Waldorf Center for Higher Education opens, in partnership with University of Maryland University College (UMUC), offering bachelor’s degrees to students.

  14. 1998

    Dr. Elaine Ryan is appointed as the college’s third president.

  15. 2000

    The College of Southern Maryland (CSM) is formed, joining all three campuses as one regional college serving Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary’s counties.

  16. 2003

    The Leonardtown Campus is expanded with the addition of Building C.

  17. 2004

    CSM is reaccredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.

  18. 2005

    The new Prince Frederick Campus opens at its current location with its flagship building.

  19. 2006

    Dr. Bradley M. Gottfried is appointed CSM’s fourth president.

  20. 2008

    CSM celebrates its 50th Anniversary. CSM Foundation receives its largest gift in CSM history—$1 million donation from Dr. Francis P. Chiaramonte. The Science and Technology Building is re-opened after a state-of-the-art renovation.

  21. 2009

    The CSM Foundation completes its first major fund raising campaign, raising $7.7 million. CSM opens the Center for Trades and Energy Training in Waldorf, MD, for workforce training programs.

  22. 2010

    The Leonardtown Campus opens its new Wellness and Aquatics Center. The Center for Nuclear Energy Training also opens in Prince Frederick.

  23. 2011

    CSM breaks ground on La Plata Campus Business Building (BU) renovation.

  24. 2012

    CSM breaks ground for second building on Prince Frederick Campus and opens the La Plata Campus Business Building.

  25. 2013

    The Prince Frederick Campus dedicates its first building to meet LEED-certified standards. CSM breaks ground for the Community Education Building renovation on La Plata Campus.

  26. 2014

    CSM opens the La Plata Campus Community Education Building and purchases land in Hughesville for the new regional campus.

  27. 2015

    CSM celebrates the groundbreaking of the new Regional Hughesville Campus and its first building, the Center for Trades and Energy Training.

  28. 2016

    Kickoff of IMPACT campaign; $1 million donation from Marianne Harms for the John E. Harms Academic Center on the Prince Frederick Campus.

  29. 2017

    The new Center for Trades and Energy Training opens on the Regional Hughesville Campus.

    Dr. Maureen Murphy is appointed CSM's fifth president.

The College of Southern Maryland has a rich in history and a promising and exciting future ahead. 

Our story began in 1958 when the Charles County Community College was established as part of the continuing expansion of the community college in America. At its inception in 1958, the college was governed by the Charles County Board of Education, with the first classes conducted at La Plata High School in the evenings. The Friendly Hall Campus, which is now the La Plata campus, was established in 1968. The college expanded its services to St. Mary's County in 1978 and Calvert County in 1980.

On July 1, 2000, the college officially became the College of Southern Maryland (CSM), a regional college serving Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's counties. Today, College of Southern Maryland is known as a progressive, innovative and technologically-advanced institution. As a regionally-accredited institution that prides itself on delivering high quality educational services, it also serves as a catalyst for business, industry and government to identify the resources needed to grow and maintain a healthy economy and community. 

CSM offers an array of associate's degree programs, industry certifications, career training, wellness and fitness activities, and is home to the Corporate and Community Training Institute. CSM prepares its students for transfer to bachelor's degree programs and provides the tools and resources needed to immediately succeed in a competitive marketplace.