If you are 16 or older and either have been home-schooled and lack a high school equivalency certificate or diploma OR have left elementary or secondary school without completing either a formal high school diploma program or earning a General Equivalency Diploma (GED), you may be admitted to the College of Southern Maryland if you demonstrate the ability to advance from instruction based on placing at the college level in reading, mathematics and English on CSM's placement test. If you do not meet this requirement you may be provisionally admitted for one semester. Upon successful completion of that semester's coursework, you will be admitted to the college under regular Admission Procedures.
Please note, some academic programs require you to have a high school diploma or a GED. Please consult the CSM catalog for degree requirements. You are strongly encouraged to apply no later than 2 weeks before the semester begins to allow sufficient time to complete the admissions process.
STEP 2: Testing
Take the CSM Placement Test or submit proof of appropriate ACT/SAT scores, and/or have a Prior Credit Evaluation.
Option 1: Placement Test
Testing takes place in our testing center on all three campuses. For information on the test, scheduling your test and how to prepare, please visit our Student Success Center.
Students must bring a photo ID to the Testing Center on the test date. The Placement Test can only be taken once.
Submit proof of acceptable ACT or SAT scores. The placement test can be waived if:
- SAT: A score of 500 or higher in critical reading (if taken prior to March 5, 2016) or 27 or higher (out of 40) on the Reading test (if taken after March 5, 2016) will waive the English portion of the placement test; A score of 500 or higher in Math (if taken prior to March 5, 2016) or 530 or higher in Math (if taken after March 5, 2016) will waive the math placement test. Please note that some students who wish to take a higher level math course should still take the math portion of the CSM Placement Test
- ACT: A score of 21 or higher in reading and English will waive the English portion of the placement test; A score of 21 or higher in the math portion will waive the math placement test. Please note that some students who wish to take a higher level math course should still take the math portion of the CSM Placement Test
It is your responsibility to provide acceptable SAT or ACT scores to the Testing Center.
If the SAT or ACT score in one area is below the acceptable score, you must take CSM's placement test in that area and place at the acceptable level to be considered for admission into the program.
If you would like to take any math courses above the College Mathematics (MTH1100) you must take the Math portion of CSM's placement test.
STEP 3: Acceptance Letter
An acceptance letter is sent to students meeting the eligibility requirements. Applicants who do not meet the eligibility requirements may be provisionally admitted to the College of Southern Maryland for one semester.
STEP 4: Registration Session
Students must schedule a Registration Session with an Academic Advisor at the campus of their choice. At this session, students will complete their registration. Appointments are required
- La Plata Campus: 301-934-7765
- Prince Frederick: 443-550-6007
- Leonardtown Campus: 240-725-5456
For additional questions, contact The Call Center at 301-934-7765