Choose Civility is an ongoing community-wide initiative to position Southern Maryland as a model of civility. The Choose Civility project intends to enhance respect, empathy, consideration, and tolerance in our community. We invite all within our community, as well as other communities around the region, to participate.
The Diversity Institute serves as a principal organization in Southern Maryland and represents the College’s and the Charles County Government's commitment to providing enrichment in the areas of cultural diversity and multicultural understanding for the communities it serves. The Choose Civility campaign is aimed at helping those who live and work in Southern Maryland be mindful of ways to interact with mutual respect regardless of person and choose to be models of civil behavior.
We choose respect, courtesy, empathy, and tolerance as our fundamental values, enhancing the community's quality of life.
Tools of Civility
The Diversity Institute at the College of Southern Maryland identifies with the Choose Civility initiative that was first launched by the Howard County Library System in 2006 as it clearly ties to the Diversity Institute mission of promoting respectful, open and honest interactions among people and communities of diverse backgrounds, abilities, and philosophical ideologies.
While the Choose Civility initiative was inspired by Dr. P.M. Forni’s Choosing Civility: The Twenty-five Rules of Considerate Conduct. Choose Civility Southern Maryland has chosen to promote nine of his rules as our tools, which will guide ideas within the Southern Maryland community.
Calvert County Community Partners
- Calvert County Chamber of Commerce
- Calvert County Library System
- Calvert County NAACP
- Calvert County Public Schools
- Calvert County Sheriff's Department
- Calvert County State's Attorney Office
- Calvert Hospice
- Calvert Interfaith Council
- Calvert Marine Museum
- Collaborative for Children and Youth
- Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum
- Morgan State Estuarine Research Center (PEARL)
- Project Echo
- Solomon's Business Association
- The Calvert Alliance against Substance Abuse, Inc. (CAASA)
Charles County Community Partners
- American Indian Cultural Center
- Arinbe Technologies, Inc.
- ARC of Southern MD
- Charles County Board of Education
- Charles County Chamber of Commerce
- Charles County Commissioners
- Charles County Department of Social Services
- Charles County Humane Society
- Charles County Library System
- Charles County NAACP
- Charles County Sheriff’s Office
- Dion Communications
- Interfaith Community Connection
- Lifestyles of Maryland, Inc.
- Melwood Charles County Operations Center
- PFLAG of Southern Maryland
- Tri-County Youth Services Bureau
- Tri-County Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- University of MD Charles Regional Medical Center
- Zonta Club of Charles County
St. Mary’s County Community Partners
- Cornerstone Presbyterian Church
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Chesapeake
- St. Mary's County Public Schools
- St. Mary’s County Library System
- St. Mary's County Branch NAACP
- St. Mary's County Department on Aging
- St. Mary's County Literacy Council
- United Way of St. Mary's County