"Our Lives Matter, Get Engaged"
The Diversity Institute in conjunction with the Charles County NAACP presents the 2017 Black History Month, Creative Expressions Contest with the theme, "Our Lives Matter, Get Engaged." The educational component is collaboration between the College of Southern Maryland, Charles County Board of Education, parochial and private schools located in Charles County. Open to students in grades K- 12 and those attending the College of Southern Maryland.
The contest is now closed.
This Creative Expressions Contest is open to all students attending public, private, parochial, or home schools, and to students attending the College of Southern Maryland.
Winners will be chosen in each of the following categories:
- Elementary School (K-5th grade)
- Middle School (6th-8th grade)
- High School (9th-12th grade)
- College (College of Southern Maryland students only)
Format for the entries may include:
- Poster Size: 8.5 x 11 horizontal or vertical
- Media: Marker, colored pencil or paint
- Image: Hand drawn, original student ideas and artwork (Computer generated pictures or photos, etc. will not be accepted)
- Each submission should include the student‘s research papers, including persuasive works and/or historical analysis.
- Submit to School Principal to pick up by Creative Expressions Contest Committee
- Kindergarten thru 8th grade. 500 (min.) to 1500 (max.) words. Entries should be typed, double spaced, and printed on one side of paper only.
- High School and College of Southern Maryland student. 1000 (min.) to 3000 (max.) words. Entries should be typed, double spaced, and printed on one side of paper only.
- Essays must be submitted electronically via the Diversity Institute at the College of Southern Maryland web page. (www.csmd.edu/diversityinstitute)
Spoken Word Poetry
- Upload entry to YouTube or VIMEO and provide the link for judges to review. 3 minutes (min.) to 5 minutes (max.) Please
- Note: all digital media will be judged according to the same criteria as other entries.
Digital Media, including but not limited to PowerPoint and short film.
- Upload entry to YouTube or VIMEO and provide the link for judges to review. 3 minutes (min.) to 5 minutes (max.)
- Please note: all digital media will be judged according to the same criteria as other entries.
Entries must include a Creative Expressions Contest Entry Form.
Entries will be reviewed by a panel of judges from the following organizations; The Diversity Institute, Charles County NAACP, Charles County Board of Education and the College of Southern Maryland. Criteria for judging include relevance to theme, thought-provoking content, creativity, informative, and grammar and spelling.
Winners and a guest will be acknowledged during the NAAACP Martin Luther King, Jr., Awards Breakfast on January 16, 2017. Also, the winning submissions will be in the Maryland Independent and/or electronically on the Diversity Institute website.
Winners in each category will receive the following awards through the College of Southern Maryland Foundation:
- Elementary School: First Place $100 Kids' and Teens College
- Middle School: First Place $150 Kids' and Teens College
- High School: First Place $500 College of Southern Maryland scholarship
- College of Southern Maryland: First Place $500 College of Southern Maryland scholarship
All entries will receive certificates of participation.