Helping the area's nonprofit organizations build a brighter future.
The Nonprofit Institute was established by the College of Southern Maryland to assist nonprofit organizations throughout the region to enhance their effectiveness and achieve success in fulfilling their missions.
How We Can Help:
The Non-Profit Institute provides many programs designed to meet an organization’s interests and needs. These programs include:
- Monthly Executive Director learning circles that bring leadership together to meet and discuss operational concerns and share lessons learned
- Volunteer Southern Maryland, an online program for posting volunteer opportunities
- Quarterly networking opportunities for volunteer coordinators.
- Courses covering key areas of nonprofit leadership, management, strategic planning, fundraising and board development
- Southern Maryland Gives, a program encouraging community support for nonprofit needs through online giving.
- An annual conference that includes a recognized keynote speaker, encourages learning, sharing and celebrating the successes of the nonprofit community.
- Regular communications via e-newsletter and biweekly online announcements highlighting upcoming events.
- Operational advice and insight in areas of leadership, management, marketing and fundraising
WHAT OUR SERVICES CAN MEAN FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION:
In collaboration with the St. Mary’s and Charles County NonProfit Advisory Councils, guidance in planning and evaluating NonProfit Institute work is provided through council membership which reflects leadership in the nonprofit and business communities and local government.
Involvement in the NonProfit Institute offers your organization opportunities that can lead to the following outcomes:
More effective outreach
Financial growth and stability
An active pool of volunteers
More effective management practices
Engagement and support of colleagues
Achievement of educational goals
Effective and effective staff
Our services to the non-profit community include: providing resource information on current non-profit interest items; facilitating round table executive director networking meetings to allow all county non-profits time to meet, greet, and share; scheduling high interest classroom opportunities for paid employees, volunteers, and board members to attend for enrichment and organization development; and to provide a centralized location for posting and disseminating non-profit volunteer opportunities and overall non-profit community information.
The Nonprofit Institute holds regular meetings for both Executive Directors and Volunteer Coordinators.
St. Mary's County Executive Director Learning Circle takes place every 2nd Wednesday of the month, September-June from 8:30-9:30 am.
Charles County Executive Director Roundtables take place every 4th Wednesday of the month, September-June from 8:30-9:30 am.
Volunteer Coordinator Meetings are held the 2nd Tuesday of every other month (September, November, January, March, and May) from 10am-12 pm.