Helping the area's nonprofit organizations build a brighter future.
7th Annual Nonprofit Institute Conference
Jump-Start your Leadership
Friday, April 28
8:00am - 1:30pm
Learn more >>
The Nonprofit Institute was established by the College of Southern Maryland to assist nonprofit organizations throughout the region to enhance their effectiveness and achieve success in fulfilling their missions.
How We Can Help:
The Nonprofit Institute provides many programs designed to meet an organization’s interests and needs. These programs include:
- Monthly Executive Director learning circles that bring leadership together to meet and discuss operational concerns and share lessons learned
- Volunteer SOMD, an online program for posting volunteer opportunities
- Quarterly networking opportunities for volunteer coordinators.
- Training courses covering key areas of nonprofit leadership, management, strategic planning, fundraising and board development
- Southern Maryland Gives, a program encouraging community support for nonprofit needs through online giving.
- An annual conference that includes a Ted Talks-style panel discussion and breakout sessions that encourage learning, sharing and celebrating the successes of the nonprofit community.
- Regular communications via e-newsletter and biweekly online announcements highlighting upcoming events.
- Operational advice and insight in areas of leadership, management, marketing, communications and fundraising
What Our Services Can Mean for Your Organization
In collaboration with the St. Mary’s and Charles County Nonprofit Advisory Councils, guidance in planning and evaluating Nonprofit Institute work is provided through council membership which reflects leadership in the nonprofit and business communities and local government.
Involvement in the Nonprofit Institute offers your organization opportunities that can lead to the following outcomes:
- Stronger boards
- More effective outreach
- Financial growth and stability
- An active pool of volunteers
- More effective management practices
- Engagement and support of colleagues
- Achievement of educational goals
- Effective and effective staff
Our services to the nonprofit community include: providing resource information on current nonprofit interest items; facilitating round table executive director networking meetings to allow all county nonprofits time to meet, greet, and share; scheduling high interest classroom opportunities for paid employees, volunteers, and board members to attend for enrichment and organization development; and to provide a centralized location for posting and disseminating nonprofit volunteer opportunities and overall nonprofit community information.