ArchivesSpace is a web-application database, similar to a library catalog, that contains descriptive information called finding aids about what is in each of the archival collections in our Documents Room. It does not include digitized material, but serves as a guide to help identify collections that may be useful to you in your research. The database is completely text searchable, and you can also search by name, subject, or other identifiers.
At this time, we have uploaded descriptions of all of our oral history collections to ArchivesSpace, and we are in the process of uploading descriptions of all of our archival collections to the database. We will update this site as additional collections descriptions are added.
Please browse the SMSC Box Lists for descriptions of the Archival & Manuscript Collections, Genealogical Research Collections, Oral History Collections, and Photographic Collections. Archival materials are non-circulating and must be viewed onsite.
SMSC's Online Collections Catalog contains thousands of searchable records relating to the materials housed in the SMSC Documents Room. Many of these records include small preview digital images of collection materials. Use the catalog to search for materials by keyword.
Search the entire library catalog! The catalog contains information on reference books and printed materials in the Maryland Collection, which is located in the reference section of the main library. Call numbers with an "Md" in the prefix indicate that the item is part of the Maryland Collection. Maryland Collection materials are non-circulating and must be viewed onsite.
With more than 1.5 billion names in over 4,000 databases, Ancestry Library Edition includes records from the United States Census; military records; court, land and probate records; vital and church records; directories; passenger lists and more. Must be accessed within the college's computer network.
A unique, growing collection of research materials for tracing family history and American culture. Must be accessed within the college's computer network.
Local Resources by County
Anne Arundel County
- African American Heritage Society of Charles County, Inc.
- Charles County Maryland Genealogical Society
- Charles County Public Library
- Dr. Samuel A. Mudd Society, Inc.
- Historical Society of Charles County
- Piscataway Indian Museum
- Society for the Restoration of Port Tobacco
- Thomas Stone National Historic Site
Prince George's County
- Accokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park
- Prince George's African American Museum & Cultural Center
- Prince George's County Genealogical Society
- Prince George's County Historical Society
- Prince George's County Memorial Library System
- Surratt Society & House Museum
St. Mary's County
- Historic St. Mary's City
- Patuxent River Naval Air Museum
- St. Mary's College of Maryland, Archives
- St. Mary's County Genealogical Society, Inc.
- St. Mary's County Historical Society
- St. Mary's County Public Library
Other Regional & State Resources
- Southern Maryland Arts & Culture
- Southern Maryland Heritage Area Consortium
- Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland
- Enoch Pratt Free Library, Genealogy Resource Guide
- Maryland Genealogical Society
- Maryland Historical Society Library
- Maryland Historical Trust
- Maryland Humanities Council
- Maryland State Archives
- Maryland State Law Library, Genealogy Resources
- University of Maryland, Special Collections