|CSM ISTEM Scholarship Information Flier - click here|
The College of Southern Maryland with funding from the National Science Foundation is offering scholarships to entering high school graduates or current CSM students pursuing degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM). The objective of the CSM STEM Scholarship is to provide educational opportunities to financially needy and academically talented students through scholarships that promote full-time enrollment and degree achievement.
CSM STEM scholarship recipients will receive a scholarship award up to $5,000 per academic year over two academic years to be used for tuition, fees, and books. Recipient benefits also includes the following:
- Mentorship by field related specialists
- Potential summer employment opportunities in a field related environment
Notification Priority Deadline
The priority deadline for completed applications is May 15, 2013. Applications will be accepted until all scholarships are awarded.
Sandy Poinsett, Professor, Division of Math, Physics, and Engineering 301-934-7808 firstname.lastname@example.org
The CSM STEM Scholars Program is funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF). The grant focus is to increase the participation of students in the STEM disciplines.
- Be U.S. citizen. permanent resident. national or refugee. per NSF guidelines
- Be financially needy as defined by the U.S. Department of Education as qualified for need-based Federal financial aid criteria
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 as a recent high school graduate or current college student
- Enroll full-time in a Science. Technology. Engineering. or Math degree program
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 cumulative grading scale)
- Be eligible to place into MTH-1120 or higher; ENG-l01O or higher; and place out of Developmental Reading on CSM placement test
- Complete the CSM admissions application online at www.csmd.edu/Admissions
- Submit a completed and signed CSM STEM Scholarship Application
- Include one letter of recommendation from a high school or college STEM teacher
- Submit official high school transcripts.
- Eligible candidates may be interviewed
- All documents in one complete package must be returned to:
College of Southern Maryland
Department of Academic Affairs (OM)
P.O. Box 910 La Plata. MD 20646-0910
CSM STEM Scholars cohort will receive individual advising. academic resources -such as study groups. and tutorial support. as well as participation in a four semester Student Success Course.
Students must remain in good standing. This is defined as being enrolled full-time at CSM in a STEM major and maintaining a semester GPA of 3.0 or better and complying with attendance requirements of co-curricular enhancement opportunities.