At CSM, our academic advisors are available to assist you in identifying educational opportunities consistent with your capabilities and interests, exploring career fields, and start you on the path towards new levels of success. Contact an advisor to learn more or schedule an appointment.
Appointment or Walk-In?
You will need to schedule an advising appointment to do the following:
- Select a Program of Study
- Explore Career Choices
- Receive Personal Job Search Assistance
- Graduation Audit
- Transfer In to CSM or Transfer Out to Another Institution
- Plan for Cooperative Education
- Get Advice on Complicated Academic Situations
Feel free to drop by during walk-in hours for the following:
- Changes to Your Declared Program of Study
- Assistance With Course Selection
- Program Review Notification
- Probation Restriction Notification
- Prerequisite Not Complete
- Add, Drop, Withdraw from Classes
- CSM Resources Referral
- Advice on Academic Situations
- Graduation Audit
October 2016 Announcements
Register Now for Fall Minisession II classes!
If you were not able to start classes in September, the Late Start Session begins October 3 and Minisession II starts October 24. View the schedule of classes on the main web page. View your program evaluation and register for classes in on-line services in your my.CSMD account to get started! Please visit Academic Advising, if you need assistance with choosing classes. Call for appointment availability.
- Fall Late Start Semester October 3 – December 12
- Fall Minisession II October 24 – December 12
Thinking about taking a Minisession course?
A full semester course runs 15 weeks in Fall and Spring. Minisession courses run 2 weeks (January Term), 6-12 weeks in summer, or 4-7 weeks in fall and spring. Be sure to look at the dates of the course that are listed in the schedule to determine how many weeks the course meets. Keep in mind that the length of a course impacts the refund policy for the course.
Because the course work is accelerated, students should take a course in a Minisession if they are very interested in the subject and know that they have the time to successfully complete the course.
Coursework that is normally completed in a 15-week class will be completed in approximately half of the time in a 7-week Minisession, so the pace is about twice as fast as a full session. Taking 2 courses (or 6 credits) in a 7-week session is like taking 4 courses (or 12 credits) in the regular 15-week full session.
Attention Fall Graduates!
If you plan to complete your degree in the Fall, keep in mind that graduation is not automatic. You must meet with an Academic Advisor to complete a graduation application. Contact Academic Advising for appointment availability.
There is no fee to graduate. However, if you choose to participate in the January ceremony, there is a fee for cap and gown. See the 2017 Commencement Guide for additional information.
Graduation Application Deadlines
- Deadline to participate in Winter Ceremony is November 15
- Deadline to apply for a diploma is December 15
- Commencement ceremony is January 19
- Diplomas are received in the mail after February 28
Free Tutoring Services are available!
Spring priority registration is in mid-November!
Now is the perfect time to make an appointment with an Academic Advisor to plan for spring and beyond.
Be ready for your priority registration day! An Academic Advisor will review your program of study with you and help you to create a semester-by-semester plan.
Priority Registration Dates for 2017 January Term and Spring Semester
- November 14: Returning students who have completed 45+ credits
- November 15: Returning students who have completed 30+ credits
- November 16: Returning students who have completed 15+ credits
- November 17: Returning students who have completed 1+ credits
- November 18: New students
Other important dates
View other important dates on the admissions web page.
Be aware of course withdrawal dates
October 6: Last day to withdraw or change to audit/credit without a grade for Fall Minisession I classes
November 9: Last day to withdraw or change to audit/credit without a grade for Fall Full-term classes
November 21: Last day to withdraw or change to audit/credit without a grade for Fall 10-week classes
Note: If you are using Financial Aid or Veteran’s benefits, please check with those offices first before withdrawing from a course. Withdrawing could impact on future Financial Aid and current/future VA benefits.