At the College of Southern Maryland, we take pride in partnering with veterans and military-dependent students to make sure you get the most of the veterans benefits available to you.
The commitment is so important to us that we have been identified as a veteran- and military-friendly institution.
If you’re a veteran and are curious about what benefits are available to you or how to apply for them, you’re in the right place. Join the Veterans Educational Benefits Mailing List today to stay up to date on veterans issues at CSM, or take a look at the links to the left for more helpful information.
The CSM Veterans Affairs Coordinator will see walk-in students according to the following schedule until further notice.
- Tuesdays (Prince Frederick: Rm 101F) 0900-1130 and 1300-1600
- Wednesdays (La Plata: AD Bldg) 0900-1130 and 1300-1600) Check in at Lobby Express Counter.
- Thursdays (Leonardtown: B217) 0900-1130 and 1300-1600)
Important Information for Students Using VA Education Benefits
All students desiring to use VA Education Benefits must submit a Benefits Request Form (BRF) after registering for classes. CSM typically receives more than 500 BRF’s each semester. It can take CSM up to 30 days to process the requests during peak enrollment periods and the VA can take another 30 days after that so do not delay registering for classes and submitting your BRF. BRF’s are processed in the order received.
- All monthly payments/stipends from the VA, including the Post 9/11 Monthly Housing Allowance, are paid the month following classes (Students attending classes in February receive payments in March, etc.).
- All monthly payments/stipends are prorated on the length of the term/semester.
- The VA only provides monthly payments/stipends during the time period a student is enrolled in classes. There are no monthly payments/stipends during breaks between terms/semesters.
CSM is approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Maryland Higher Education Commission, so that eligible veterans, servicepersons, and certain dependents of veterans can receive VA educational benefits. We do not determine your eligibility for veterans benefits. We do, however, provide you with the appropriate paperwork to apply to the VA for benefits. We are responsible for certifying your enrollment status to the VA, which is what gets you paid.