Online Essay Center
The Online Essay Center is a free service available 24 hours a day for any student matriculating in a credit course at the College of Southern Maryland. If you are taking a non-credit course such as ENG-0900, you should stop by the Writing Center for a face-to face consultation. Students who e-mail their drafts for review Sunday through Wednesday may expect a response within 48 hours. Students who e-mail their drafts for review Thursday through Saturday may expect a longer response time.
The Online Essay Center is not available during summer hours. It will be available Fall 2011.
Submit your essay here: Essay@csmd.edu
- Submit only one piece of writing per week online.
- Include the draft in the body of an e-mail message.
- Limit draft to 1,500 words.
- Identify the course and the instructor for which the paper is being written.
- Explain the assignment.
- Identify which area(s) of your draft you are concerned with.
- Sign the e-mail message using your full name and your e-mail address.
The Online Essay Center is particularly useful for students on a tight schedule. If you have the time, it is preferred that you stop by for a face-to-face consultation.
- Who reviews the draft? The Writing Center tutors will review the draft.
- Why should I send in a draft? If you are unable to come for a face-to-face consultation, you can use the online option to get feedback about your draft. The review may include a critique of the thesis, the arrangement, the supporting evidence, etc. It may also include suggestions for improvement. Considering another's reaction to the essay draft is an important part of the writing process.
- Will the reviewer edit my draft? No, the reviewer will not edit or proofread for all errors in grammar and mechanics. The tutor may write, for example, "Your draft has errors in mechanics, especially commas." However, the tutor will not point out each instance of an error.