International Students

International Student

CSM welcomes students from all over the world, and we benefit from the cultural diversity they provide. We currently have students from 19 countries attending here, beginning their higher education experience with us.

As a two-year college accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and the Maryland Higher Education Commission (CHEM), we have developed partnerships that will allow you to transfer and complete your bachelor's degree.

New! The Office of Admissions at the College of Southern Maryland uses eShipGlobal to ship documents/forms to and from students and scholars. Please follow the instructions provided below to create an eShipGlobal account and request your I-20 from the Office of Admissions.

How to Request your Completed I-20

International Admissions Packet and Forms Checklist

Please submit all completed forms and required documents to Erika Furr at For questions, e-mail or call 301-934-7817.

  • CSM Admissions Application
    Our online admissions application address fields are made for people who live in the United States. If you do not have an address in the U.S, show your state as NONE and the zip code as 99999. This will allow you to submit the application.

  • Identification - Copy of birth certificate, photo ID and/or passport.  Please note: if you are applying for a status change, please provide a copy of your current visa.

  • CSM Supplemental Form
    This form will show your home country address information as well as your address in the United States while attending CSM.

    If English is recognized as your country's primary language by the United States Department of State, the TOEFL is not required.

  • Transcript
    All college transcripts that come from institutions outside of the United States must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES), Education Credential Evaluators (ECE), or Josef Silny & Associates (JSA).

  • CSM Declaration of Financial Support Form
    This form must be completed by the financial sponsor and notarized.
    Submit I-134 - This form is completed by a US sponsor if they are United States citizen or carries a permanent resident card. If this is not applicable, the person providing financial support should complete the form.

  • Financial documentation to support I-134 and CSM Supplemental Form
    The financial documentation must be converted to United States dollars. Submit I-539: 
  • Transfer Form
    If you are currently attending an institution in the United States on an F-1 visa and wish to transfer to CSM.


All forms must be submitted by the following dates:

  • June 15 for the Fall Semester
  • October 15 for the Spring Semester
  • March 15 for the Summer Semester

After all documents are received, they are reviewed for eligibility by the Director of Admissions.

The Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant F-1 Student Visa Status) is issued to those applicants who meet all academic, financial support, and English language proficiency requirements for admission to a full-time degree program. A student copy of your I-20 will be mailed to you. It is the United States Department of State, not the college, that makes the decision to grant your F-1 Visa.

Before registering for classes, the student will be required to meet with the Director of Admissions. International students are charged out-of-state tuition and are not eligible for most financial assistance.


Admissions Processes

  • To pursue education in the U.S., you need a SEVIS I-20 in order to obtain a student visa.
  • To request a SEVIS I-20, complete CSM International Student Admissions Packet and submit the completed packet to the Admissions Office (refer to Admissions Checklist for the needed documents).
  • All documentation must be complete and include required signatures. All financial forms must be notarized; back-up support financial documentation must be converted to United States currency.
  • Once the admissions office approves your application, your information will be submitted to SEVIS for the I-20 form.
  • The Admissions office will then send you the I-20 with your acceptance letter and other required documentation for your embassy appointment to request your student visa.
  • Connect to for information on the I-901 SEVIS fee, which is due prior to your embassy appointment.
  • Plan to arrive at least a week prior to the start of classes to allow time to settle in, schedule the CSM skills surveys, and attend orientation and registration.

International College and University Transfer Policy

Students seeking credit for course work completed at an international college or university are responsible for having an official transcript evaluated by the World Education Services.

World Education Services (WES)
Attention: Documentation Center
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087

There is a fee for this service. If you have further questions, please contact Admissions.


Student Transcript Evaluation

When seeking credit for course work completed at an international college or university, you are responsible for having an official transcript evaluated. Below are services that offer this evaluation:

Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)

Under step 1, select "High School and University Level Course-by-Course".

Josef Silny & Associates (JSA)

Please refer to their web site for specific instructions.

World Education Services (WES)

Please refer to their web site for specific instructions.

For more information on transcript evaluation from another U.S. institution, visit the Transfer Services Web site.


Who/What is an International Student?

If you plan to attend CSM on any other visa type, complete and submit the online Admissions Application. The application asks your country of residence. The application also asks if you in the United States under any of the following visa categories. If your visa type is listed, check yes.  If your visa type is not listed check no.

I am currently in the United States on another visa type, can I attend your institution?

Your visa type determines if you can register for classes without being in violation of your visa. It also determines the tuition rate you will be charged. If you require more information, contact Admissions.

How do I change the status of an F-1 visa?

You are required to complete all steps on the International Student checklist, including a completed Change of Status form. Schedule an appointment with the college's Designated School Official, to submit required documents.

I am currently in the United States on an F-1 visa. What must I do to transfer to CSM?

If you are currently maintaining a valid F-1 status, you may transfer that status from one SEVIS approved school to another. Complete the International Student Admission Packet and inform the school you are currently attending of your intention to transfer. Your current school will need to complete the transfer form (9 KB) or write a letter stating you are maintaining status and eligible to transfer to CSM.

Am I required to take the TOEFL?

If English is recognized as your country's primary language by the United States Department of State the TOEFL is not required. You may contact Admissions for confirmation.

Proof of English proficiency is required by the Admissions Office in the form of an official copy of your TOEFL score report. A minimum score of 500 is required on the written version, 173 on the computer version and 61 with the online version. To make arrangements to schedule or obtain test scores, contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) at P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151. The telephone number is (609) 771-7100.

How do I apply for a specific program?

Generally you select the program you wish to pursue on the admission application; however some programs have additional admission requirements. In these instances you will complete the general admission process prior to making application to the specific program. For more information, check out our Programs of Study pages.

How do I have my foreign transcript evaluated?

An official college transcript is required. If your transcript is not from the United States, contact World Education Services (WES) to have your college or university transcript evaluated. They can be contacted at:

World Education Services
Attention: Documentation Center
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087

How much will it cost to attend CSM?

As an International Student, you will be required to register as a full-time student (minimum of 12 credits). You will be charged out-of-state rates as you cannot declare residency. Learn more about payment options.

Can I be employed while on a student visa?

As an International Student, your primary purpose is your schooling, therefore you are limited to 20 hours of on-campus employment. For more information, contact the Designated School Official.

The application asks for a social security number and I do not have one.

A social security number is not required during the admissions process. For registration of classes, the college will assign you a number in place of the social security number.

Can I leave the United States during school breaks?

If you plan to travel, contact the Designated School Official to have your I-20 signed prior to leaving. Failure to have a recent signature might prevent you from being readmitted to the United States.

Does CSM furnish housing?

The college does not provide residence halls or other types of housing.