FAQs for Incoming Transfer Students


Transferring Out:

Transferring In:

Administration (AD) Building, Room 101

Building C, Room 105

John E. Harms Academic Center (Building A), Room 101

1) To whom should I submit my official transcripts and/or test scores?

You may hand-deliver official copies of your transcripts and test scores to an academic advising office at any campus. You may also mail or have the issuing institution mail your transcripts directly to CSM:

College of Southern Maryland
Attn: Registrar's Office
P.O. Box 910
La Plata, MD 20646

2) Will classes that I take at other institutions affect my GPA at CSM?

No, only courses taken at CSM will be computed in your GPA.

3) How long does it take to evaluate a transcript for credit?

Typically, it takes three-four weeks to evaluate a transcript for credit. However, there are certain times of the year where it will take longer. During the weeks before and after a new term begins, the volume of transcripts received by CSM increases and it may take slightly longer.

4) I took courses at an institution outside of the United States and want to have credits transferred to CSM, what do I need to do?

If courses were taken at a foreign institution, the transcript must be translated by a CSM accepted, professional, accredited transcript evaluation service before transfer credit will be reviewed. CSM requires the course-by-course evaluation from these services if transfer credit is sought. Transcript evaluation service recommended by CSM: American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).

5) There is a course listed on my Transfer Credit Summary but there are no credits listed for that course, does that mean I am not receiving credit for it?

Some courses may be transferred to CSM as developmental courses (preparatory for college-level courses) and have no associated credits. It is acknowledged that you have taken the course and may move on to the next course in the sequence but no credits are awarded. Some of these courses may be used in place of CSM's placement exams. Talk to an academic advisor for more information. Some courses may require that a course description or syllabus be provided for further review. If a syllabus or course description is requested, please contact that institution and have send the information requested to CSM.

6) I have received my Transfer Credit Summary but not all of the colleges I attended are listed on it.

Transcripts are evaluated in the order in which they are received and this may mean that we have not received all transcripts that you have requested. Updated Transfer Credit Summaries are mailed as each transcript is evaluated.

7) I took a course at another college that I also earned credit for at CSM. Will the credits still be transferred to CSM?

No. Transfer credit cannot be awarded for a course if credit has already been earned at CSM.

8) Some of my courses were accepted for transfer at another college but no CSM. Why?

Transfer credit policies vary by institution and by state. CSM does not rely on another institution for transfer evaluations.

9) Who do I contact if I notice an error on my Transfer Credit Summary?

You should follow the Transcript Appeal Procedure that was mailed to you along with your Transfer Credit Summary. Send an email to or contact the transcript evaluator directly.

10) What do I need to do if I change my major and want to request a re-evaluation of my transcript?

You must contact an academic advisor to change your program of study. Once this has been completed, send an email to with your student ID number, the transcript you want re-evaluated and your new program of study.

11) Can I get credit for my work experience?

It may be possible to earn credit for your work experience. Please contact an academic advisor.

12) What is an "official" transcript?

An official transcript is a transcript received by CSM in a sealed envelope from the institution. It may be mailed directly by the institution or hand-carried, as long as the envelop has not been opened. Faxed copies, copies printed from the Internet, or transcripts that arrive in an opened envelope are considered "unofficial" and can not be used to award transfer credit. Unofficial transcripts can be used to waive English and math placement testing and course prerequisites, as long as the courses are deemed equivalent to CSM courses.

13) Is the College of Southern Maryland (CSM) an accredited institution?

Yes. CSM is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education (MSACHE).

14) Does CSM accept coursework from other institutions in the United States?

Yes. CSM accepts coursework from other U.S. colleges and universities. However, the institution must be recognized by a regional accrediting agency and/or other accrediting agencies approved by CSM.

15) Are there any limitations on the credits accepted from other accredited institutions?

Yes. As a community college, CSM only accepts lower division credits and some upper level classes if we offer an equivalent course. Also, although the college might accept credits from other institutions, they may not count toward all degree programs.

16) What is the difference between the quarter system and the semester systems?

The quarter system has four 10-12 week terms of instruction during an academic year (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer). The semester system has two 15-18 week terms of instruction during the academic year (Fall and Spring). CSM operates on the semester system.

17) How are the quarter credits from the quarter system converted into semester credits for the semester system?

According to national guidelines, the following formula is used to transfer quarter credits into semester credits: Quarter credits X .667=Semester Credits. Example: 4.0 Quarter Credits X .997=2.7 Semester Credits. If a course taken on the quarter system is a general education course at the sending institution, it will also satisfy the general education course requirement at CSM. However, students who have transferred quarter hour courses may be required to take an additional 1-credit course in order to satisfy the overall number of semester hour credits required for graduation at CSM.

18) What are 1999 and 2999 courses? How can these courses be applied toward a degree?

Courses from other institutions may transfer in as 1999s and 2999s if CSM does not offer an equivalent course. These courses are normally used as electives. However, there are times when a 1999 or 2999 may be substituted for a required course.

19) Does CSM accept CLEP and/or DSST (DANTES)?

Yes. However, CSM only accepts subject exams. For a complete listing of the exams, please refer to the CSM catalog or the Student Success Center website for more information.

20) Does CSM accept Advanced Placement credit?

Yes. Advanced Placement credit can be used toward an Associate degree. Credit is granted by submitting an official copy of the test score to the Advisement and Career Services Office. For many exams, a score of 3 or higher is required. If credit has been granted at another college, additional credit may not appear on the CSM transcript.

21) Is there a maximum number of credits for prior learning (CLEP, DSST, AP, military, departmental assessment and Career & Technology Education) that can apply towards a degree?

Yes. There is a maximum number of credits that can apply towards a degree. Contact an academic advisor at any campus for more information.

22) How do I check to see what courses I still need to complete for my degree?

You should access your Program Evaluation in your Online Services account or make an appointment with an Academic Advisor to discuss.

23) Can transferred developmental courses be used toward a degree?

No. Developmental courses that are transferred in are not degree applicable as stated in the college catalog. However, these courses may transfer in as equivalent to developmental courses offered/required by CSM.

24) Will a "D" grade transfer to CSM?

CSM does not accept "D" grades to be transferred in from out of state institutions. However, a "D" grade earned in state will transfer in only if the cumulative GPA is above 2.0.

25) I am currently a student at another institution and want to take a course at CSM over summer break to transfer back to my school. This course requires a prerequisite that I have completed at my other school. What do I need to do in order to register?

Click here for the procedure

26) Why did CSM not accept more of my military experience?

Military credits are awarded according to the American Council of Education (ACE) Guide only if the discipline is offered at CSM. If a student's experience involved areas pertaining to the military such as hydraulics, aircrafts, etc., credits cannot be awarded. If a student feels as though credit should have been given for a certain course, he/she can contact the transcript evaluator, who may recommend that the student take a test to earn credit for prior learning.

27) How do my transfer credits apply toward my degree?

To view how your transfer credits apply to your degree at CSM, log-in to your myCSMD account, click on "Current Students" and then click on "Program Evaluation" under the "Advising" heading. This will show you exactly how your courses fit into your program of study. You can also view how your credits apply to a different program using this feature as well.

Couldn't find the answer to a question you were looking for? Check out the links to the left for further advising information or e-mail us at