CSM is positioned to enhance learning and achieve performance excellence by implementing its new Strategic Plan, which identifies five broad college initiatives, as well as strategies for success and measures for performance.
Though the initiatives are varied, they all embrace the mission of CSM — to prepare its students and community to meet the challenges of individual, social, and global changes — and they support the vision of changing lives through active learning!
2015-2018 Strategic Plan
Goal 1: CSM provides the Southern Maryland community with programs and services that meet its educational, workforce and cultural needs.
- Objective 1.1 Expand engagement with the community, ensure community members have a voice in defining their needs, and provide programs, courses and services that respond to these diverse needs.
- Objective 1.2 Respond to demographic changes in the region in a timely and transparent way to ensure that we continue to serve all segments of our population and engage all audiences in the life of the college.
- Objective 1.3 Strengthen our relationships with local school systems to improve the college going rate of Southern Maryland students and to facilitate seamless student transitions to the college.
- Objective 1.4 Develop and implement innovative strategies to recruit a talented, diverse student body that reflects the demographics of the region.
- Objective 1.5 Promote and expand services and programs to meet the needs of service members, veterans and their families.
- Objective 1.6 Expand and strengthen partnerships with institutions in the academic, government, non-profit, and business sectors.
- Objective 1.7 Strengthen programs and course offerings that address the region’s workforce and emerging workforce development needs.
- Objective 1.8 Partner with businesses on program development
Goal 2: CSM students successfully achieve their educational goals.
- Objective 2.1 Increase student persistence, graduation, transfer, and goal completion by implementing impactful initiatives that engage all members of the college community.
- Objective 2.2 Support new opportunities for students to participate in high-impact experiential learning and engage in creative work, internships, civic involvement, and other beyond-the-classroom learning experiences.
- Objective 2.3 Develop mechanisms to ensure that educational offerings effectively serve a changing student population and emerging workforce.
- Objective 2.4 Provide a broad range of learning opportunities and student activities that promote global citizenship, cultural diversity, civility, and leadership.
- Objective 2.5 Capitalize on our strengths and resources to deliver high-quality services and educational offerings in an equitable manner across all campuses to best serve students.
- Objective 2.6 Enhance the use of technology to advance teaching and learning, expand online and alternative delivery methods, and enable effective student support services.
Goal 3: CSM is an employer of choice of a diverse workforce.
- Objective 3.1 Enhance the philosophy and approach that attracts and retains high performing employees.
- Objective 3.2 Enhance talent management programs that begin with candidate selection and extend through employees’ lifespan at the college.
- Objective 3.3 Enhance programs that help assure employee health and wellness.
- Objective 3.4 Ensure that diversity and other College values are regularly articulated and demonstrated in the workplace.
- Objective 3.5 Ensure accountability and equitable practices throughout the workplace.
Goal 4: CSM is a high performing organization that embraces continuous quality improvement and institutional effectiveness.
- Objective 4.1 Implement high quality academic, student support and management practices and processes through the Quality Improvement Process.
- Objective 4.2 Deploy procedures and processes that encourage environmental stewardship.
- Objective 4.3 Utilize effective controls to safeguard financial and technology resources.
- Objective 4.4 Apply best practices to ensure continuity of business operations for the college.
- Objective 4.5 Ensure a higher level of college safety and security through proactive planning and implementation.
- Objective 4.6 Strengthen shared governance practices among faculty, administration, and the Board of Trustees.
- Objective 4.7 Systematically implement and utilize environmental scanning to drive quality improvement and institutional effectiveness.
Goal 5: CSM has the resources to provide access to high quality and affordable programs and services.
- Objective 5.1 Develop and implement new funding models that increase and diversify resources in order to minimize future tuition increases.
- Objective 5.2 Leverage the unique assets of the state and region to increase college resources.
- Objective 5.3 Foster a culture of productivity, creativity, and innovation that supports and rewards efforts to achieve our mission.
- Objective 5.4 Enhance advocacy efforts by engaging all stakeholders of the college.
- Objective 5.5 Expand and strengthen strategic partnerships and collaborations at all levels to leverage resources and increase our capacity to better serve Southern Maryland.
- Objective 5.6 Maximize the efficient and effective use of resources.