History

The College of Southern Maryland has a rich in history and a promising and exciting future ahead. 

Our story began in 1958 when the Charles County Community College was established as part of the continuing expansion of the community college in America. At its inception in 1958, the college was governed by the Charles County Board of Education, with the first classes conducted at La Plata High School in the evenings. The Friendly Hall Campus, which is now the La Plata Campus, was established in 1968. The college expanded its services to St. Mary's County in 1978 and Calvert County in 1980.

On July 1, 2000, the college officially became the College of Southern Maryland (CSM), a regional college serving Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's counties. Today, College of Southern Maryland is known as a progressive, innovative, and technologically-advanced institution. As a regionally-accredited institution that prides itself on delivering high quality educational services, it also serves as a catalyst for business, industry, and government to identify the resources needed to grow and maintain a healthy economy and community. 

CSM offers an array of associate's degree programs, industry certifications, career training, wellness and fitness activities. CSM prepares its students for transfer to bachelor's degree programs and provides the tools and resources needed to immediately succeed in a competitive marketplace.

CMS Page Edit