Veteran & Military Support

Veterans show their commemorative coins

At the College of Southern Maryland, we take pride in partnering with active-duty military, veterans, and military-dependent students to make sure you get the most of the benefits available to you.

mfs21_bronze_150x150.pngThe commitment is so important to us that we have been identified as a veteran- and military-friendly institution.

If you’re active-duty military, a veteran, or a military-dependent student and are curious about what benefits are available to you or how to apply for them, you’re in the right place.

Learn How to Apply for Benefits


Contact Us

Laticia Ragin, Veterans Affairs Coordinator
Robert Shorter, Veterans Affairs Academic Advisor

Contact Us

Leonardtown: 240-725-5421
La Plata: 301-934-7656
Prince Frederick: 443-550-6131

To schedule an appointment, call 240-725-5320.

Important Information for Students Using VA Education Benefits

All students desiring to use VA Education Benefits must submit a Benefits Request Form (BRF) after registering for classes.  CSM typically receives more than 500 BRF’s each semester.  It can take CSM up to 30 days to process the requests during peak enrollment periods and the VA can take another 30 days after that so do not delay registering for classes and submitting your BRF.  BRF’s are processed in the order received.

  • All monthly payments/stipends from the VA, including the Post 9/11 Monthly Housing Allowance, are paid the month following classes (Students attending classes in February receive payments in March, etc.).
  • All monthly payments/stipends are prorated on the length of the term/semester.
  • The VA only provides monthly payments/stipends during the time period a student is enrolled in classes. There are no monthly payments/stipends during breaks between terms/semesters.

CSM is approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Maryland Higher Education Commission, so that eligible veterans, servicepersons, and certain dependents of veterans can receive VA educational benefits. We do not determine your eligibility for veterans benefits. We do, however, provide you with the appropriate paperwork to apply to the VA for benefits. We are responsible for certifying your enrollment status to the VA, which is what gets you paid.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

CMS Page Edit