FAQs for Incoming Transfer Students

Browse our FAQs:

You may request that your issuing institution submit your transcript electronically to transcripts@csmd.edu. You may hand-deliver official copies of your transcripts and test scores to an academic advising office at any campus. You may also mail or have the issuing institution mail your transcripts directly to CSM:

College of Southern Maryland Attn: Registrar's Office P.O. Box 910 La Plata, MD 20646

Please note that physical transcripts must be sealed by the issuing institution and unopened.

No, only courses taken at CSM will be calculated into your GPA.

Typically, it takes two to four weeks to evaluate a transcript for credit. However, there are certain times of the year where it will take longer. During the weeks before and after a new term begins, the volume of transcripts received by CSM increases, and it may take slightly longer.

If courses were taken at a foreign institution, the transcript must be translated by a CSM- accepted, professional, accredited transcript evaluation service before transfer credit will be reviewed. CSM requires the course-by-course evaluation from these services if transfer credit is sought. Transcript evaluation services recommended by CSM: World Education Services (WES); Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE); and Josef Silny & Associates (JSA).

Some courses may be transferred to CSM as developmental courses (preparatory for college-level courses) and have no associated credits. It is acknowledged that you have taken the course and may move on to the next course in the sequence, but no credits are awarded. Some of these courses may be used in place of CSM's placement exams. Talk to an academic advisor for more information. Some courses may require that a course description or syllabus be provided for further review. If a syllabus or course description is requested, please submit it electronically to transeval@csmd.edu.

Transcripts are evaluated in the order in which they are received; this may mean that we have not received all transcripts that you have requested.

No. Transfer credit cannot be awarded for a course if credit has already been earned at CSM.

Transfer credit policies vary by institution and by state. CSM evaluates transfer credit according to its own criteria.

You should follow the Transcript Appeal Procedure that was mailed to you along with your Transfer Credit Summary. Send an email to transeval@csmd.edu or contact the transcript evaluator directly.

You must contact an academic advisor to change your program of study. Once this has been completed, you will need to complete the Transcript Evaluation Request form and indicate you are seeking re-evaluation.

It may be possible to earn credit for your work experience. Please contact an academic advisor.

An official transcript is a transcript received by CSM in a sealed envelope from the institution. It may be mailed directly by the institution or hand-carried, as long as the envelop has not been opened. Faxed copies, copies printed from the Internet, forwarded emails or transcripts that arrive in an opened envelope are considered "unofficial" and can not be used to award transfer credit. Unofficial transcripts can be used if you are a visiting student at CSM.

Yes. CSM is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education (MSACHE).

Yes. CSM accepts coursework from other U.S. colleges and universities. However, the institution must be recognized by a regional accrediting agency and/or other accrediting agencies approved by CSM.

Yes. As a community college, CSM only accepts lower division credits and some upper level classes if we offer an equivalent course. In addition, although the college may accept credits from other institutions, transferred credits may not count toward all degree programs. Consult with an academic advisor for more information.

The quarter system has four 10-12 week terms of instruction during an academic year (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer). The semester system has two 15-18 week terms of instruction during the academic year (Fall and Spring). CSM operates on the semester system.

According to national guidelines, the following formula is used to transfer quarter credits into semester credits: Quarter credits X .667=Semester Credits. Example: 4.0 Quarter Credits X .997=2.7 Semester Credits. If a course taken on the quarter system is a general education course at the sending institution, it will also satisfy the general education course requirement at CSM. However, students who have transferred quarter hour courses may be required to take an additional 1-credit course in order to satisfy the overall number of semester hour credits required for graduation at CSM.

Courses from other institutions may transfer in as 1999s and 2999s if CSM does not offer an equivalent course. These courses are normally used as electives. However, there are times when a 1999 or 2999 may be substituted for a required course.

Yes. However, CSM only accepts subject exams. For a complete listing of the exams, please refer to the CSM catalog or the Testing Center website for more information.

Yes. Advanced Placement credit can be used toward an associate’s degree. Credit is granted by submitting an official copy of the test score to the Advisement and Career Services Office. For many exams, a score of 3 or higher is required. If credit has been granted at another college, additional credit may not appear on the CSM transcript.

Yes. There is a maximum number of credits that can apply towards a degree. Contact an academic advisor at any campus for more information.

You can check your progress toward your degree in Student Planning, under Online Services, in your my.CSMD account or make an appointment with an academic advisor.

No. Developmental courses that are transferred in are not degree applicable as stated in the college catalog. However, these courses may transfer in as equivalent to developmental courses offered/required by CSM.

CSM may accept "D" grades if credit was earned for the course and if the program allows for “D” grades.

Contact an academic advisor for guidance on how CSM can help you with your particular circumstances and academic goals.

Military credits are awarded according to the American Council of Education (ACE) Guide only if the discipline is offered at CSM. If a student's experience involved areas pertaining to the military such as hydraulics, aircrafts, etc., credits cannot be awarded. If a student feels as though credit should have been given for a certain course, he/she can contact the transcript evaluator, who may recommend that the student take a test to earn credit for prior learning.

To view how your transfer credits apply to your degree at CSM:
  • Log in to your my.CSMD account
  • Click on “Current Students”
  • Click on "My Services"
  • Click on "Student Planning"
  • Select “View My Progress” to see exactly how your courses fit into your program of study. (You can also use this feature to see how your credits apply to a different program as well!)
CMS Page Edit