Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

The FAFSA is used to determine a family's eligibility for financial assistance.  Please list CSM's Title IV Federal code, 002064, in the appropriate box on the FAFSA.  This is a yearly process. You must apply online at:

CSM's Title IV Federal School Code is 002064.

Visit the government's FAFSA website at

Yes, you should fill out a FAFSA.  Please click here to find more information related to Title IV eligibility and drug convictions.

To see if CSM has received your FAFSA results, go to and check My Documents under Financial Aid, within Online Services. To complete the FAFSA, go to and ensure you submit the application with the CSM school code of 002064. Allow 10 business days for your FAFSA results to arrive at CSM.


You will receive your refund once the funds for that specific award(s) have been received, processed and applied to your account. Student Account Services sends out refunds to the students. If you have any federal financial aid and the funds have been disbursed the refund will be sent to you within 14 days. This includes any other aid you are receiving for that semester. Fall semester refunds start to be processed in late October and Spring semester refunds start to be processed in mid March.

When your funds are transmitted and processed, you will have two options to receive your refund: via check or electronic transfer.

CSM provides you with the ability to set up ACH direct deposit to your bank account via your Self Service account.

Log into your account here, and you will be redirected to the set up screen. Once you have authorized ACH, future CSM direct deposits will be sent directly to your account.

If you do not opt in to receive your refund electronically, Student Account Services will send you your refund via U.S. Mail. Please review your current address on file with CSM by logging onto your myCSMD account, then going to Online Services, Current Students and Address Summary.  If you need to update your mailing address, please complete and submit an Update Contact Information Form to the Admissions Office. 

When a student officially withdraws from a course, the date of withdrawal will be used as the last date of attendance. If a student stops attending, without officially withdrawing, College of Southern Maryland will determine the last date of attendance based on information received from faculty. College of Southern Maryland will calculate the return of unearned TA based on the following formula:

  • Withdraw or stop attending prior to the semester start 100% return of funds
  • Withdraw or stop attending prior to 10% point of semester 75% return of funds
  • Withdraw or stop attending prior to 20% point of semester 50% return of funds
  • Withdraw or stop attending prior to 60% point of semester 10% return of funds


Students are chosen for verification either by the Central Processing Center or the College of Southern Maryland. Verification is completed by the financial assistance office. If you are picked for verification you will receive a letter from the financial assistance office requesting the appropriate documentation. You should submit this information as soon as possible. If you do not complete verification you will not receive Federal Aid or any other type of aid that requires you to file a FAFSA application.

The verification process generally takes 4-6 weeks. The financial assistance office can not perform verification until all the appropriate documentation is received in the office. Sometimes we will need to request additional documentation after starting the verification process if conflicting information is found that will affect your eligibility. This could possibly lengthen the processing time. The key to getting your verification completed is to submit your documentation in a timely manner.

Yes. You will need to provide a copy of your tax transcript as well as copies of all your W-2's. You will submit these documents with a verification worksheet that will be provided for you when you are notified that you have been chosen for verification. If you did not file or were not required to file taxes for the appropriate year, you will have the opportunity to put that information on the verification worksheet.

Please note: CSM is no longer authorized to accept copies of tax returns.  You must submit copies of tax transcripts.  To order a tax transcript directly from the Internal Revenue Service, click here.


If you already have a student loan and you wish to find out who services your loan and how to contact them, click hereYou'll be able to find out who holds your student loan, who guaranteed your loan and who you can call to find out more about your loan. This service is provided by the National Student Loan Clearinghouse and is placed on the College of Southern Maryland web site for your convenience.  

Please Note: The Maryland Higher Education Commission offers a student loan repayment program aimed at encouraging nurses, nurse faculty and teachers to work in certain areas and fields in Maryland. Should you be interested in more details please go to:

Drug Convictions and Financial Aid

By law, some students who have drug-related convictions under any federal or state law may be ineligible for federal student aid.  According to the law, if you are convicted of an offense involving a controlled substance you may face these restrictions:

  1. For possession of controlled substances (illegal drugs), you are ineligible from the date of conviction for: 
    • 1 year for a first offense
    • 2 years for a second offense
    • Indefinitely for a third offense
  2. For sale of controlled substances (illegal drugs), you are ineligible from the date of conviction for: 
    • 2 years for a first offense
    • Indefinitely for a second offense.
  3. For sale and possession of controlled substances (illegal drugs), you are ineligible from the date of conviction for the longer period of time.


Convictions only count if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which you received Title IV aid. Do not count offenses that occurred outside this period. In addition, do not count any conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from your record.  Also, do not count any conviction that occurred when you were a juvenile, unless you were prosecuted as an adult.

Further explanation of the term controlled substance is defined in section 102(6) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802(6)).

Yes, even if you have drug convictions, you should complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  You may be eligible, depending on the date and number of convictions.  Even if you are ineligible for federal student aid, you should complete and submit your FAFSA.  Many states and schools use information from the FAFSA, and you may still be eligible for scholarships or other types of aid from other programs.  There is a way that you can regain eligibility for the federal programs no matter how many or what type of drug convictions you have.  You must successfully complete an acceptable drug rehabilitation program that meets the standards set by Congress and the Department of Education. You will regain eligibility on the date you complete the program.

Question 23 on the FAFSA asks about drug convictions.  Do not leave this question blank.  If you answer "YES" you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or go to if you need help filling out the worksheet after you receive it in the mail.

You regain eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when you successfully complete a qualified drug rehabilitation program. Further drug convictions will make you ineligible again.

An acceptable drug rehabilitation program must have TWO unannounced drug tests AND it must meet one of the following requirements:

  1. Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state or local government program.
  2. Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a state or federally licensed insurance company.
  3. Be administered or recognized by a federal, state or local government agency or court.
  4. Be administered or recognized by a state or federally licensed hospital, health clinic or medical doctor.

If you want to find out if a drug rehabilitation program meets the described standards, you need to contact the rehabilitation program.

If you still have questions about the law, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).  Your personal information is confidential, and you will remain anonymous.  Further information relating to suspension of eligibility for drug-related offenses can be found in Sec 483(r) of the 1998 Amendments to the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Contact Us

E-mail us at

Phone: 301-934-7531
Fax: 301-934-7694


Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
CMS Page Edit